Tuesday, March 24, 2009



Gift Buying: 101

For all you last minute gift-shoppers, this post will hopefully change your way of life! I love to save money in every area of our budget, not just on groceries and toiletries. Over time I've branched out to find ways to save with purchasing gifts. I hope that the following tips are helpful to you this year as you prepare for birthdays, bridal showers, weddings, baby showers, and Christmas!


Keep a list of people to buy for.
Each year the list fluctuates for the gifts you need to buy, but you'll almost always be looking for wedding gifts, birthdays, and Christmas. My husband's side of the family is very large and there are two gift exchanges. In addition to this, I usually have at least two other gift exchanges for work or for a group of friends. These gifts can sneak up on you at the last minute and it can be tempting to actually buy a $10 gift for the $10 gift exchange. I'm here to tell you that I shop year-round for gifts so I can stay well below that amount :)

Set a gift budget. One of the best things to do is to put money in an envelope each month to save for buying gifts. This way you don't have to shove out a bunch of money each time a special occasion rolls around! This also helps keep you in check with how much you're spending. If you want to spend more on a special wedding gift, try and get a good bargain on a birthday gift to even out your spending.

Where to shop. Now that you have a budget and know who you will be buying for, you can keep an eye out for good deals on things for these people. ALWAYS CHECK THE SALE SECTIONS! If you don't check the sale sections, you'll miss all the good stuff! For example, I know that two of my friends are having babies this year. I've kept my eye out for things for their baby showers. This is what I've put together in the gift pictured above (less than $4):

-1 package Huggies disposable changing pads from Wal-Mart, free w/coupons
-1 travel package baby wipes from Wal-Mart, free w/coupons
-1 Johnson's baby shampoo from Wal-Mart .22 w/coupons
-2 travel size Johnson's baby lotions from Wal-Mart, free w/coupons
-Glade candle $1.50
*In addition to this, I'm going to add these things to the gift:
-1 Baby Scrapbook (new) from Goodwill .79
-1 picture book from the Family Christian Bookstore, .99

The Family Christian Bookstore. This is a great place to shop for any occasion. They always send out coupons each month and have additional sales. You can usually buy books and cds between $5-$10. These are great gifts to buy ahead for birthdays, weddings, Christmas stockings or gift exchanges. I just bought Sacred Marriage for my husband and I for only $9.

Goodwill. Some of you might be totally surprised by this, but I'm telling you that it is a great place to shop! Many stores like Target and Wal-Mart donate some of their returns and last season items to Goodwill! My husband and I have gotten two new bookshelves from there for only $25 ea. I've also found brand new journals, place mats, scrapbooks, cards, and winter gloves at great prices! I try and shop here once a month to see what they have.

Wal-Mart. This store has never failed me. One of my favorite places to find gifts is in the $5 movie bin! You can always find a good movie in there. Also, Wal-Mart drastically marks down jewlry and other accessories. I've found pairs of earrings for $1/ea and recently bought a winter scarf and glove set for $1.50! The best time to hit Wal-Mart is the days following Christmas. I stock up on bags, wrapping paper, tissue paper and boxes because everything is half off or more. I also look at the holiday gifts and usually buy cosmetic bags, candle holders, candles, and fingernail kits for super cheap. This is also the best time to look for men's gifts because they have men's holiday gifts half off, and you can get some exchange gifts for great prices. Online you are able to get free samples of different products sent to you that you may be able to use in gift baskets (I'll tell you more about this later).

Drug Stores. These are places like CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid. At these stores, you can usually get free fragrance plug-ins, sprays, lotions, body washes, cleaners and more! Never pass up the opportunity to get something free with your coupons. You never how you might be able to use it.

**Now you can get started on shopping for your gifts year-round! In the next blog, Gift Buying 102, I'll tell you more specifics about the things that I look for. I will also give you some other gift basket ideas that will only cost you about $5! Until then, stock up on free samples from Wal-Mart and check out the sales at the other stores mentioned. You'll need to build up a good stock in order to create multiple gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment